How Do I Pick a Contractor? Can You Help Me?
We cannot give you advice on choosing a contractor. However you can get more information.
You may obtain permits in your own name. However, it is always suggested that your contractor be listed on your permit application to:
- Allow permit staff to verify your contractor is properly licensed.
- Indicate their responsibility for the work.
- Enforcement action against the contractor becomes more difficult if the permit does not list contractor.
How Do I Verify a Contractor’s License?
Contractor licenses are obtained through the state. To verify if a contractor is licensed, go to Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation or call 804-367-8500, TTY 711.
Tips for When Hiring a Contractor
- Hire only licensed contractors.
- Check the status of the contractor’s license with the state. See the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation link shown above.
- Get three references, review past work.
- Get at least three bids.
- Get a written contract and don’t sign anything until you completely understand the terms.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project.
Possible Signs of an Unlicensed Contractor
- Reluctant to obtain the permit
- Asks homeowners to obtain the permit