Beginning March 24, 2020 and until further notice, The Greene County Circuit Court is only operating to provide ESSENTIAL SERVICES, while balancing the health and safety needs of court visitors and personnel, pursuant to the Supreme Court of Virginia Order Declaring a Judicial Emergency in Response to COVID-19 Emergency, which was entered by Chief Justice, Donald W. Lemons, on Monday March 16, 2020.
Therefore, the front doors to the court house and the Clerk’s office are locked and you are asked to phone the office at (434) 985-5208 to discuss your business with the Circuit Court Staff to determine if your matter is an essential service and to schedule an appointment with personnel if the business is a matter that qualifies as an essential service. Recording land records is an essential service. Any recordings that can not be mailed will require prior notice to the Clerk’s office staff before coming into the office. During this time, issuance of marriage licenses and Notary qualifications will be by appointment only. Concealed handgun permit applications can be mailed to the office with a copy of your government issued photo ID (this copy will be shredded upon verification), proof of competency and fee. Please use P.O. Box 386, Stanardsville, Virginia 22973 for any mailings sent by the United States Postal Service. Alternatively Fed-Ex and UPS should be sent to 22 Court Street, Stanardsville, Virginia 22973. Checks and money orders can be made payable to Clerk of Court.
Thank you for your cooperation and patience as we work through the emergency in the safest way possible.
Susan E. Birckhead, Clerk
Greene County Circuit Court
Phone: (434) 985-5208
Our office is now accepting e-recordings through Simplifile.
E-recording is secure, simple and can be done from your home or office.
- For questions and to setup an account, please contact Marc Arrowood
- Phone: 800.460.5657 Ext. 1046.
- Website: www.Simplifile.com
The Clerk's Office handles all land records, marriage licenses and qualification of Executors and Administrators of estates recorded since 1838.
Services provided by the Clerk's Office:
- Concealed Weapons Permit
- Notary Public Qualification
- Probate / Qualifications of Estates
- Genealogy Research - may be done by the individual
- Marriage License
- Land Records
- Filing of Civil Suits
The Clerk's Office is to the right of the Courthouse on Court Square in Stanardsville, Virginia.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of payments do you accept?The Circuit Court accepts cash, check, or money order. We also accept Visa/MasterCard with a two dollar convenience fee on transactions under fifty dollars and 4% on all others.
The Clerk’s Office now accepts online payments.
How do I get a concealed handgun permit?
- Applications are here in the office or can be found on the Virginia State Police website.
- Applicants must have proof of competency (ie. DD-214 form: member copy 4, Handgun Safety Course Certificate, or Hunters Safety Course Certificate, or previously issued permit).
- The cost is 15 dollars, we accept cash, check, or money order.
How do I get a marriage license?
- Both parties must be present with valid ID.
- The cost is 30 dollars, we accept cash, check, or money order.
*Marriage License expires 60 days after issuance.